- The Mormon belief that the earth is 6,000 years old (see D&C sec 77)
- The whole story of Adam and Eve being our first parents
- The story of the Universal Flood (Mormon’s believe that this was a baptism of the earth).
- The belief that Dinosaurs came from a different planet
- The Garden of Eden being in the State of Missouri
- The belief that there was no death before Adam and Eve (fossil remains have proven this to be a false doctrine)
- The City of Enoch being a real city that was literally lifted into heaven from its sight where the Gulf of Mexico is currently situated.
- That our Sun derives its energy from a planet called Kolob
- That the pre-Columbus inhabitants of the America’s and Pacific Islands were descendants of Hebrew bloodlines.
- That all languages somehow were changed from a pure Adamic language 4,000 years ago at the “Tower of Babel” to confuse and confound humanity. "Pay Lay Ale" in pure Adamic means "Oh God, hear the words of my mouth" ... Yeah right!
- That God somehow showed Noah where to “drop off” the various animals species through out the world, after the flood so that they would conform perfectly with Darwin’s theory of Evolution i.e.: Kangaroos in Australia, Lion’s and Elephants in Africa, Horses and Cows in Mesopotamia etc.
Monday, March 27, 2006
Hook, Line and Sinker
As a ”Truly Believing Member” of the Mormon Church, I admit that I took every thing that the leaders of the church spewed out literally. They had already done the thinking...so I didn’t need to... right? I literally believed everything without ever thinking the claims of the church out in my mine. I believe part of my loss of belief came about because I started to recognize blatant conflicts with the claims of the church and reality... here are a few examples of things that started to really bother me and eventually led to my leaving Mormonism. It is also why Thinking in Mormonism is part of the “Double Bind“.